Wednesday, October 24, 2012

WIP Wednesday: A Plea and Gloves

Knitting:
The chocolate socks seems stalled, perhaps permanently in this iteration. I did indeed find more yarn, ordered it, and gleefully began knitting with it. In the poorly lit room I knit it I could tell it was a little lighter but that didn't seem to be too much of a problem. The next day I took it with me to fighter practice where I could work in the sun. There I realized just how light the new yarn was. Even Lynn commented on it. He also pointed out, as I sat there contemplating, that I needed to be happy with the final result. I realized I wouldn't be happy with the color change, and I'd probably never wear the socks, so I ripped back all the new yarn and set it aside. I do have various plans for the new yarn as I 2 skeins of that and thus plenty of yarn to make a pair of socks. In my mind though, the cubes pattern, for me, really needs to be in a dark brown. You know how it is when your heart is set on something.

So ... I have a request for my friends that have knitting stores somewhat close to them. Would you be willing to call them and see if they 'happen' to have Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Chocolate, Dye Lot 6094? You can contact me via ShadowsKnits@gmail.com. I'll pay the cost for somebody to purchase the yarn and ship it to me. I'm well aware it's a last ditch hope and that it may not pan out. But I've contacted Lorna's Laces and the yarn stores here that carry it and none of them have that color. If this doesn't work then I'll pull the socks out and set the yarn aside for gloves for me or something and move on.


(The finished sock, the half done sock, the lighter yarn)

So since I can't work on that I've been working on other things that have been patiently waiting for me to have time for them. Case in point, a pair of wrist / arm warmers for myself. These are working up super fast, just a couple days for the first one to be finished.



Writing:
Fey Led - More Edits.
Thanks to Kathy and her incredible notes as well as a bit of help from Kara, I've got some really good feedback and I'm working my way through those.

National Novel Writing Month (NaNo) is coming up and at first I wasn't sure about participating this year. I was considering focusing on my editing and getting my current stories cleaned up. And then a voice pipped up in the back of my mind with a question ... so I may have an idea after all. We'll see. If nothing else I do have a fantastic background that will surely inspire me to write courtesy of  Dragon.

Reading:


World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. I'm 'really' not a fan of zombies, honestly can't stand them. I'm a fan of cerebral horror, not the blood, guts, and gore horror. But, this was one of those books that was a big hit and I like to grab those and read them when I can. So far, and I'm about halfway through, it's not focused on the ew factor. Between the writing style, the layout, and the focus of the subject matter, it's more about the collapse of society, how it happened, and the aftermath. It makes it a story of humanity and how humans deal with everything falling apart. Certainly there is the ew factor there, as the zombies are described, but with it being a sharing of other people's stories it's not an immediate feeling with the guts shoved in your face, so to speak. I'm really enjoying this book, which is a happy surprise.

6 comments:

  1. Did you contact anyone on Ravelry about the yarn needed? I've had success in the past with this method. http://www.ravelry.com/stash/search#colorway=chocolate&view=cards&yarn-link=lornas-laces-shepherd-sock-solid

    The arm warmers look great! I just finished a similar pair in a similar color for myself recently too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! That was actually the first place I looked, and where I got the yarn that's too light. The other person that had their stash marked as for sale still hasn't replied to me. Thank you for asking though, I'd hate to miss an easy solution. :)

      Thank you! I do love the color and I'm thinking I might have enough left to perhaps make a matching hat. :)

      Delete
  2. Those arm warmers are gorgeous! um, should I be ashamed to admit that I peruse my LYS shephard sock stash so frequently that I don't need to call? eep. I'll be there again next Thursday and will double-check, but I know I've not seen Chocolate lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you!!

      The hard bit of this yarn is that it's old, as in, before Lorna's Laces doubled their skein sizes so you can do one pair of socks from a skein. I'm still hoping though. :)

      Delete

  3. I love your artwork and follow you pots this very minute!



    ดูหนังผี

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your new decorative designs! it's beautiful so much and good idea on site.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete