Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIP Wednesday: Fireworks & Finding Magic

Writing:
Magic Balance (Working Title) - Rewrites
Previous Word Count: 1,342
Current Word Count: 2,624 (Up 1,282)

I've changed the main female character's name. I realized that I'd used the same name for two separate stories and both were rather big characters. The one in this story didn't feel comfortable with the name, so it all worked out.

Reading:

Just After Sunset by Stephen King I'm just barely into the first short story in this collection. Normally I get annoyed with short stories as often it feels like just as I'm invested in the characters the story is over. King has always managed to avoid that problem, as far as I'm concerned. He manages to create characters that I'm instantly interested in. Some of that is obvious King fangirling as I've been a huge fan of his since I started reading his stuff around age 8 and some of that is the reason I'm a huge fangirl.

Knitting:
I'm terribly impatient; really, horribly impatient. Normally knitting helps a bit with this as everything is one stitch at a time and I can watch it come together. No so when I'm waiting to hear back from a designer about a problem in the pattern. I waited as patiently as I could however and finally my twitchy fingers got the best of me and I added in the rows that made sense to me so that I could continue with the actual creating part. I make notes on the print out I have so the second one will be the same and then I get back to flying along. Other than that? I love working with this yarn, I love how the pattern is showing up, and I love how they're mostly falling right into place.



This is technically the 2nd go. The first one was ripped out as the edging was done backwards, I folded it forward rather than backwards; it might have helped for the pattern to say that you should pick up your cast on row from the wrong side. There's also a bit of a math issue in the middle of that pattern as after the pattern repeats you should be on round 41, not 40. I had Lynn check that one twice, to be sure. Normally I wouldn't say anything, I'd just go on, but this doesn't look to have been made all that often and I wonder if the problems with the pattern are causing that.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get the project figured out. Nothing worse than a pattern that doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely texture in that pattern, but very frustrating to have to struggle with every part of the pattern!

    ReplyDelete