Friday, April 6, 2012

Birthday Mitts

Friday was Miss Kid's birthday and the party was Sunday. We'd already paid for her ears to be pierced as part of her birthday present but I wanted to be able to give her something to open there at the party.

But what to give? Miss Kid has shown interest in the fingerless mitts I've done. So we went to the yarn store and looked around. I told her that I had to make a pair of those mitts but the color was up to me, but I needed help in finding the most awesome color possible and I wanted it to be really soft.

She finally settled on a yarn and color that seemed awesome to her. Then we got home and the yarn was put away. Before I left, while she was at school and with her mother, I whipped up a pair of the mitts. I managed to get them blocked before she visited the Thursday before my vacation so I could get pictures of them. 

She opened them Sunday and was 'very' happy to have her very own set of mitts, in the awesome color she picked out. There's a bit of yarn left over so I promised we could look into something to be made with it as well.



Pattern: Firework Mitts
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima
Project Page

2 comments:

  1. I love when I can take my kids to the yarn shop to pick out yarns that will become their gift. I think they appreciate what I make them more when they have input in the color. It's funny to see them looking around the shop and commenting on textures. hmmm, future fiber artists?

    Your mitts are perfect and I'm glad she liked them

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was very adamant that they were 'her's' as her mother and I both love purple. She was also unconsciously petting them as she wore them so I'm taking those as good signs. I am often amused at how seriously she takes picking out the perfect yarn. It is a lot of fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete